Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Grief is Sobering One Day at a Time..





So, I thought the hardships in my past were God’s way of making me strong enough to get sober. Now, in my 8th year of Recovery, I realize that my Recovery is God’s way of making me strong enough for #TeamTyler. Everyone says, “don’t get sober for other people. Do it for yourself.” I say, “it is My Recovery. I’ll do it for whomever I want and for whatever keeps me Sober.” I will choose my own Touchstones, thank you very much.


I feel like I am strong in my sobriety, but Addiction is a sneaky and deceitful beast not to be trusted.  She will trick you and lie to you and pounce on you when you are the weakest and most vulnerable. She is patient, too. She will wait years, if she has to, to find a way back into your life. She feeds on weakness and self-doubt and heartache, but all her deceitful strength has got nothin’ on my Faith.
My Touchstones are my Faith in God, my promise to Tyler, and the fact that if Schuyler ever needed a Sober Mama, he needs Her now.  God is my Strength.  He will not allow any of the Pain to be in vain.  He will Light my way and guide each step.
Michelle and Emily and I realized yesterday how much “one day at a time” applies to Recovery from a tragedy as it does to Recovery from addiction and alcoholism. Just hang in there for a minute, an hour, a day… You will get through. Hold each other up and lean on Him.




No comments:

Post a Comment