Monday, February 16, 2015

Sober is the new black…


Sunday, February 22, 2015 is my seven year anniversary of sobriety. When we moved to Richmond, VA four years ago I was grateful for a fresh start; not for myself but for Sugar-britches. But guess who told our new friends about his mama’s recovery? Sugar-britches! Guess who won’t let a sober anniversary go by without going to an AA meeting to get my poker chip? Sugar-britches! He says, “Mama, it’s kinda a big deal”.  Well, if he’s talking about God’s Grace, then he is so right!

For Valentine’s Day, Prince Charming gave me a fancy set of medallions to put in a shadowbox.

Each one has the Roman numeral for the year of sobriety it signifies. I have the actual plastic poker chips, but he thought I would be proud to showcase the fancy ones since “I LOVE fancy”! Be still, Heart.


I have decided to embrace my story and share it with YOU. I hope that my battle might encourage you. It isn’t over and it never will be, but I am grateful for The Struggle. It helps me keep my eyes on Him.


I want to break the silence, because y’all matter. It’s difficult for me to share, but I know it’s the right thing.

I guess that means we’re smokin’ hot! Love y’all. I hope you will share this with anyone you think might benefit from our story. I promise to share more but it takes a lot out of me. Not as much as the four-part African Hair Oil story, but a lot.  

No comments:

Post a Comment