Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Orange Dreamsicle Cake Recipe


I adapted this recipe from my BELOVED cookbook, The Cake Mix Doctor. It is full of awesome recipes that dress up cake mixes into fabulous homemade-ish desserts! For the shower, I doubled the recipe for four 9″ round cake layers and plenty of icing!




CAKE RECIPE
1 pkg yellow cake mix w/pudding
1 cup fresh OJ (5ish oranges)
Orange zest to taste
1/2-cup veg oil
1/4-cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
4 large eggs
Grease and flour 2 x 9″round cake pans. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend all ingredients with mixer for 1 minute on low. Scrape sides with spatula. Mix for 2 minutes on medium and pour batter into pans.  Bake about 35 minutes, depending on oven.
ICING RECIPE
1 8oz pkg cream cheese, room temp
1 stick butter, room temp
3 cups xxx sugar, sifted
2 T fresh OJ
1 T orange zest (1 med orange)
Mix cream cheese and butter w mixer on low til combined. Add sugar, a bit at a time, blending w mixer on low til well combined, 1 minute. Add OJ and zest. Beat on medium for 1 minute til fluffy.  Frost at once.




Now, to get dressed for the party…  I bought 1 lb of whipped icing ftom Kroger’s bakery. It is lighter than butter cream and ices beautifully.  I added some red food color and iced the chilled orange cake with a thin layer for decorating and color.



Then, I took 2 strips of band of gold bling and went around the outside base of cake.





I accidentally, on purpose, bought them at A.C.Moore, but didn’t know how I would use them!



I found a girl online who custom made the Swavorski covered paci. I have a collection of demitasse cups and saucers and I picked a favorite to keep the paci out of the icing. I used the remaining white icing to make the flower borders.




Mama came to the rescue with the gold doilies to hide the gaps between the gold bling strips.




I think the cake was a hit. Hope you enjoy the recipe. 





No comments:

Post a Comment